[Trisquel-users] Your next textbook may require non-free software.

Lev Lazinskiy lev.lazinskiy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:12:56 CET 2012

On 1/21/12 7:09 PM, migatheotaku at gmail.com wrote:
> I really just wish that they wouldn't rely on Adobe Flash for
> something as important as school, especially since my school is
> completely online.
I couldn't agree with you more. I think its vital that educational
institutions resist the proprietary model and advocate for open
standards. I do not mind paying money for my textbook - I DO mind being
restricted on what operating system or software I am able to view it on.

This was a nightmare with the Course Smart software when I had to use it
in the past. Luckily most of the companies that sell eBooks do give you
a small grace period to make a return in case you are having system
compatibility issues.

In addition to ebooks, my school is really big on a lot of McGraw Hills
web based homework and assignments which also require a bunch of
proprietary plug in's its very annoying and I think it has a negative
impact on learning.