[Trisquel-users] Trisquel 5 and home entertainment

holger.beetz at gmail.com holger.beetz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:14:27 CET 2012

Fabián,

I think we are both right :)
I spent some time today for investigating the minimum specs for 1080p
playback without GPU decoding and I mostly found a 2-2.4 GHz dual core a min
spec.

AMD is well known for being "a little less performant than Intel". So shows
my AMD X2 with 2x2.7 GHz which mostly plays back 1080p fluently but shows
hickups in high bitrate / high complexity scenes. An Intel CPU on the other
hand with > 2x2.4 GHz seems to decode 1080p nicely. Similar to what Cyberhawk
said.

For all my AMD boxes (2x1.6GHz, 2x2GHz, 2x2.7GHz) things are looking less
good for 1080p playback under Linux without NVidia blob. I never got my AMD
HD4670 to work with this VAAPI stuff. Neither with fglrx, nor with radeon.

Have a nice weekend,
D$