[Trisquel-users] Is a Wii or DS A General Purpose Computer?

Luis Felipe López Acevedo introsmedia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 00:19:36 CEST 2010

2010/3/30 <f13ticket at gmail.com>

> As a gamer, I find it hard live fully by Free Software.  I miss Nintendo
> games, as well as 3D which is almost non-existent in Free Software.  The
> games exist, but only some Intel boards can play them.  3D games, and about
> half the 2D that use 3D features to run, do not run unless they are on some
> Intel boards.
>
> Are video game consoles, such as the Wii and DS, really General Purpose
> Computers?  If not, should they really be boycotted in the name of Free
> Software?
>
> I guess my question, in its simplest form, is can I use Trisquel on my
> Desktops and Laptop and buy a Wii or DS and not be contradicting the values
> of Free Software and be a hypocrite?

In my humble opinion, and taking into account that the Free Software
movement is about freedom and not software, I think you'd be contradicting
your values, yes. But don't expect to find a person in the world that
doesn't contradict herself; we are humans, we are weak, and we need
transitions.

Do whatever you consider better for you and society. You can give a hand to
the Free Software movement or you can give your entire life if you want; in
any case, I think your help will be appreciated, at least I'll do so.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://introsmedia.tuxfamily.org/