[Trisquel-users] We need an English motto

akram720 at gmail.com akram720 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:30:21 CET 2010

Hi,everyone.
These days I am invited to give lectures on English writing to adult students
on an in-service training programme. Yesterday morning, during recess, one of
the students asked me about how to translate a company motto. The company, a
building material manufacturer, intends to place the English translation of
the motto right under its Chinese equivalent on its Brief-Introduction
webpage. Its classical Chinese motto is "言行九鼎 德通天下",which
is usually used to describe a paragon of virtue and literally means "He
always lives up to his words and enjoys high public regard." In my view,
although a company seeking prosperity can be compared to a man who always
wishes for respect from others, it may be a better idea to have the literal
meaning of the Chinese motto slightly altered to suit this business
situation. I plan to translate it as "Honesty is the best policy and quality
matters most, we believe." I won't have the English translation corresponding
word for word with the original version, for literal translation oftentimes
confuse and mislead the readers. Rather, I think this treatment works best:
the Chinese version will be intended for the Chinese readers while the
English version will be instantly understood by international visitors of the
webpage. I would like to have your comments on the acceptability of my
English translation on the part of native speakers.
Thanks.
Richard