[Trisquel-users] suggestions for trisquel

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér mjjzf at writtenandread.net
Mon Mar 1 20:17:17 CET 2010

On Mon,  1 Mar 2010 19:54:43 +0100 (CET)
Roeplay at lavabit.com wrote:

> Revised list of package suggestions:
>
> -wicd
> -Abiword
> -Midori browser
> -XMMS2 music player
> -Abiword
> -MTPaint
> -Xpdf
> -Xchat
> -Claws mail and RSS client
> -GNUmeric spreadsheet
> -Bitstorm Lite (for bittorrent files)
> -SIM-IM
> -Twinkle VoIP app
> -Xfburn CD/DVD burning
> -WxCam for webcams

This may just be me, but... is a spreadsheet application necessary? I
know that it is a thing usually included, but... how many people use it
on a day-to-day basis? On a netbook? Is it not a remnant of the mindset
that an office suite is text, spreadsheet and presentation?
Also, I am unsure whether this is a good idea, but I find that Arora -
the QT cousin of Midori - has some features making it more interesting.
It allows for saving passwords, which Midori does not, and it has a
nice download manager. Of course, if it is the only app using QT, it
will bring a somewhat heavy load.
Should you consider including a "Recommended for purposes not covered
here" document linking to other lightweight applications like they have
on the Xfce wiki: http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps
- where, by the way, there are also interesting suggestions, which I
  all use:
* Ktsuss: A small application which works like gksu/kdesu for making
  run-as-root dialogs.
* SLiM: The small login manager.
* Uget: A nice lightweight download manager.
* Catfish: A search application by the same programmer as Midori, but
  less actively developed.

Yours,
Morten
__