[Trisquel-devel] success on arm64 Supermicro ARS-110M-NR

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sat Jun 15 11:23:32 UTC 2024

Hi

Trisquel installs fine on this arm64 1U server machine using the
mini.iso found inside this archive:

http://builds.trisquel.org/debian-installer-images/debian-installer-images_20210731+deb11u10+11.0trisquel17_arm64.tar.gz
SHA256: 31099ec4dadba80462c138c8bb219542ae1e5b0d7f7505fa054fe243657a8c78

Essentially the install is similar to my last Ampere Altra install:

https://blog.josefsson.org/2024/01/10/trisquel-on-arm64-ampere-altra/

For reference, my new machine claims to use BIOS R12SPD-A 1.1b
10/17/2023, has a 128 core 3.0GHz Ampere Altra Max CPU with 4x32GB
M393A4K40EB3-CWE sticks, a 960GB nvme MZ1L2960HCJR-00A07 and I've
confirmed that a couple of Solidigm D5-5316 U.2 NVME's works.

Some additional notes:

- Booting is easy: just insert USB stick, press DEL at boot to select
  boot device, and chose your USB unit

- No more GRUB or EFI problems!  I chosed 'Guided partitioning' and put
  all files on the first NVME device, and it installed grub fine and was
  able to boot without any hassles.  Maybe this problem was fixed since
  the earlier mini.iso version I used in my blog post above.

- Regarding network: I couldn't get the RJ45 BMC port visible to Linux,
  nor did I really want this approach.  The device has two SFP slots,
  and the Ubiquiti 10G S+R RJ45 module trigger this kernel error (both
  on 5.15 and 6.5):

  mlx5_core 0003:03:00.0: port_module:252:(pid 0): Port module
  event[error]: module 0, Cable error, Power budget exceeded

  However, using a Ubiquity 10G SFP fiber module work fine.  I suspect
  this is not Trisquel-related, and if anyone has ideas how to tweak
  this to make the RJ45 adapter work, I would prefer RJ45 over fiber.

- Translations didn't work, the Swedish string was garbled and I
  reverted back to English.  A bit strange, since my last ppc64el
  installation of trisquel had translations working.

- The installer doesn't know about any apt mirrors, but the
  archive.trisquel.org URL was known so I just had to press enter
  anyway.

- The installer uses kernel 6.5 and asks me to select kernel for the
  resulting system, and I chose the default (linux-image-generic) which
  gave me a 5.15 kernel.  I installed the linux-image-generic-hwe-11.0
  package quickly to get a 6.5 kernel, but I did not have any issues
  with the 5.15 kernel.

/Simon