[Trisquel-devel] success on arm64 Supermicro ARS-110M-NR

Luis Guzman ark at switnet.org
Tue Jul 9 20:56:59 UTC 2024

Hello!

En 09/07/24 05:14, Jing Luo escribió:
> Hi Simon and bill-auger and maybe Luis and Rubén,
>
> I also have good news! I just installed Trisquel on my new arm64
> server and it looks good. I hope I can use this server to help
> Trisquel's development in some way.

Nice!

For now you can document your installation process, report and
investigate issues found in it.
Simon reported some small details with repo selection (mirrors) and
language, if you found the same issue, maybe report that.

[...]
> The installation was so smooth that I started to suspect something
> would go wrong, given my experience with Rockchip-based SBCs. But
> luckily, things just worked. I used the "expert install" option and
> formatted the rootfs as btrfs, with linux-generic-64k-hwe-11.0-edge
> for the kernel, and no desktop environment (don't have a mouse).

Yay!, it's great to read that world's arm64 is having more Trisquel in it.

> Time for some numbers:
>
> Building trisquel's linux 5.15 using sbuild took about 17 minutes,
> with the following command:
>
> sbuild -d aramo --no-arch-all --no-run-lintian --no-run-autopkgtest
> --no-run-piuparts linux_5.15.0-113.123+11.0trisquel30.dsc
Impressive timing :)

> (found a bug in trisquel's debootstrap, will suggest a fix on gitlab
> later.)

[...]
> So...if Luiz or Rubén is reading this, I would be happy to host a VM
> for Trisquel to speed up jenkins builds, seeing that Trisquel is using
> a ROCK 3A for the build farm. It should be 20~30 times faster.

There are plans to improve the node stack, as Ecne will be adding riscv
and more load to arm, but that's is still on it's way. Using community
vm/nodes might require to layout some security policies, and some other
directives, we'll need to find some time to define those if moving in
that direction.

Regards.

--
Cuanto más gente resista, más gente va a ser Libre, y
más gente va a ser libre para ser Libre.

Por tu propio bien, y en solidaridad a todos,
elige la libertad.

¡Sé Libre!
http://fsfla.org/selibre/

Luis A. Guzmán G.