[Trisquel-devel] riscv64 for trisquel 12?

Jing Luo jing at jing.rocks
Tue Apr 30 08:46:09 UTC 2024

Simon Josefsson Sun Mar 31 08:07:30 UTC 2024:
>>> While still a fairly experimental platform, I
>>> think that during the lifespan of trisquel 12 the riscv64 platform
>>> may
>>> become an important target.  It would be nice to include riscv64
>>> packages from Ubuntu directly from the start when we import noble.
>>
>> Ecne might be a great opportunity for it, definitely something to
>> discuss about next time the dev team meets.

As a user I'm excited to see more resources being used on developing on
riscv64, that's a big "if", but debian 13 (trixie) will officially
support riscv64.

>>> I have a Milk-V Pioneer box that I could give out a Debian VM on for
>>> porting.  These machines seems to be readily available in stock
>>> commercially, and I may be able to arrange a donation of one machine
>>> the Trisquel project if that would help things.
>>
>> This would certainly help on the decision making process, as a hard
>> requirement is to have hardware to run the builds at.
>
> Who would be best to send this machine to, who can install it and keep
> it running and setup jenkins etc on it and connect it to the build
> infrastructure?  I worry that this could be a distraction from other
> work, so I'm happy to offer a VM on my machine for this purpose, but
> that is fairly fragile and I wouldn't want the project to depend on
> there being power in my garage...  maybe best is both, to have to two
> riscv64 build machines available.

How about this: I can happily host it at my home in Tokyo for Trisquel
project and help setup & manage etc., if Simon can arrange that
donation, and, if trisquel devs all approve this at your next meeting. I
have sysadmin experience on my own home servers so I hope this wouldn't
add much burden to devs.

I have 10Gbps internet and a second ISP, and I already host a mirror for
Trisquel since last year (listed on the website wiki but not in the
Mirrors.masterlist). I recently donated (?) 3 VMs (amd64) to the gcc
compile farm on my own hardware [1]. And - I recently bought a starfive
visionfive 2 riscv sbc but haven't had the chance to install anything
yet.

[1] https://portal.cfarm.net/news/49

--
Jing Luo