[Trisquel-devel] Building Debian's free firmware (and in particular carl9170) from source

John Scott jscott at posteo.net
Fri Dec 23 14:51:06 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I'm the current Debian maintainer of open-ath9k-htc-firmware, which is a
very special package since unlike linux-firmware-free, it actually
builds the firmware from source using a cross compiler.

I'm chipping away at getting all of Debian's free firmware to build from
source, and my next target is carl9170, the other libre 802.11n wireless
firmware for USB adapters. Even if you're not a Debian Developer, I
thought that since Trisquel is very free software centric, some folks
here might would like to review the package.

It can be found at
https://mentors.debian.net/package/carl9170fw/

If any of you are Debian Developers, I'm seeking a sponsor for this
package.

Thanks,
John