[Trisquel-devel] Granting Santi more privilege to handle the project

Andrew 'Leny' Lindley andrew at andrewlindley.co.uk
Sun May 15 18:06:18 CEST 2016

On 11/05/16 11:19, Salman Mohammadi wrote:
> It seems that Ruben does not have enough free time to invest on Trisquel
> and he hasn't been as responsive as expected, recently.
>
> I suggest Ruben to grant Santi (aka aklis) more privilege to handle the
> project.

I differ, and strongly so.  IMO Ruben has decoupled as much as it is
safe to do from needing to be serialised / locked on him as a resource.
 Not that Ruben is right all the time or without personal flaws, but it
is up to him to manage his task priority order based on his considerable
experience.  If you have something you need him to do which you view as
important *and* urgent then hassle him, and ask Santi to hassle him.

However, Ruben is *critical* skill as far as Trisquel goes.  Nobody else
has the knowledge, skills and experience to do the tasks which are
locked on him to the same quality, including Santi.  This is an interim
situation until others develop the skills and experience.

Remember it takes 10 years ( == the famous 10,000 hours in the C21 book)
to become *good/expert* at anything.  Ruben has that in Trisquel
development,  Santi has it as Trisquel 'BOFH.'  I have 30 years in
proprietary software including operating systems and their maintenance,
the equivalent of two Masters in proprietary training and I follow their
lead on matters Trisquel.  I suggest you do the same rather than
advocate cutting out critical skill and personnel on the basis of the
experience of less than a hundred Trisquel patches.

Leny