[Trisquel-devel] Security Section for Package Installation

Christian Bryant christian at gnulinuxlibre.org
Wed Feb 4 19:45:54 CET 2015

Hello,

Folks who use other non-free distros may be familiar already with
security package options available under the headers below:

* Information Gathering
* Vulnerability Analysis
* Wireless Attacks
* Web Applications
* Exploitation Tools
* Forensics Tools
* Stress Testing
* Sniffing & Spoofing
* Password Attacks
* Maintaining Access
* Reverse Engineering
* Hardware Hacking
* Reporting Tools

Unfortunately, many of the security-oriented distros that have
these offerings include "demo" or "limited use" commercial
software.

It would be nice to be able to install via Trisquel a section,
or selection of packages from a section called "Security"
that only points to FaiF packages.

I myself ran through a list of packages from the example above
contained in Kali Linux and installed only free packages.  It
was interesting to see the list was not only much smaller,
but also was more useful in an overall sense.

I realize some of these packages are currently under the
System Administration section in Synaptic, but honestly not
all those packages are strictly sysadmin tools.  Pentesters
and security engineers are often the primary audience for
some of these.

Worthwhile pursuit?

Cheers.

- Ian