[Trisquel-devel] gnome-session & gnome-session-classic

Luis A. Guzmán García ark at switnet.org
Mon Jan 27 18:40:14 CET 2014

Hi!,

I've been customizing my default trisquel installation, i use the
default gnome version @ 32 bits.

The most recent change i've come up with is the replacement of GDM to
slim as the default session manager.

It has come up with the issue that slim tries to start the default
session which is gnome-session but the raw binary calls for "ubuntu", so
on slim.conf i added the gnome-session-classic and now i have the option
to start with it, but the default gnome-session is still calling for
ubuntu.

I went a little far and remove the x-session-manager
(/usr/bin/gnome-session) link on /etc/alternatives and created one
pointing to /usr/bin/gnome-session-classic.

Since update-alternatives --config x-session-manager won't allow me to
choose gnome-session-classic, i know that gnome-session-classic
basically just calls gnome-session with the --session=gnome-classic
option.

It did work for starting the slim session with the default option, now
autologin cant start normally.

My question here is, how bad idea was to replace gnome-session to
gnome-session-classic at the /etc/alternatives directory?

The first time i had this issue was when building the LTSP image for the
clients, login with LDM, but also lts.conf can fix this adding the
gnome-classic session on it.

Thanks for your time and future comments :)

--
Luis A. Guzmán García
¡Se Libre! - http://fsfla.org/selibre