[Trisquel-devel] Runtime Library libgail-3 missing from 5.5 Beta

Dave Hunt ka1cey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:01:15 CET 2012

I've reported many accessibility issues with this release, in the users'
forum and the irc channel.  In my attempt to track these down, I, first,
built a later release of orca (3.3.4) from the sources at gnome.org.
This orca release is known to have fixes for the 'sticky orca key'
issue, and some performance improvements in its interaction with the
Mozilla apps, like abrowser and thunderbird.  It didn't, however,
provide fixes for my ovserved issues of 'alt+tab', add/remove apps,
pidgin, libreoffice, and the Mozilla file choosers not speaking.  As an
exercise, I ran pidgin from the terminal, and listened for error
messages.  Before orca went silent, there was a "failed to load module
gail" message.  I installed all things libgail-3, and restarted the
session.  Accessibility is much-improved!

For building the next disk image, we should be more judicious in
choosing what libgail-3 things to install.  For instance, the debugging
symbols and development libraries shouldn't be in the iso, am sure.
Maybe, with gail in place, all screens in the installer will speak?  If
there are still accessibility issues, they're likely not unique to
Trisquel, and should be taken to up-stream developers.

Thanks, and best regards,

Dave  Hunt