[Trisquel-devel] To Ruben: Packages for Trisquel-kde

GP gaurav.conetfun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 08:30:03 CET 2011

Thank you for your quick responce. I was out of town so i could not
reply earlier. Actually this is my first attempt at making debian
packages(or any software package for that matter), so I downloaded the
sources for mint packages and made required changes(removing a lot of
dirty things). I have a few questions.

>Whenever you use a file already provided by another package (specially
>if it is a big one), use a link to it and add the package containing it
>to your package's dependencies:

How should i do that?? Should i just put a symbolic link in the
package? If that works, it would be good, i'll do that right away.

>Well, although it might look like the package works, most of it needs
>to be redone. :( Don't worry, many of the files are ok, it is only the
>way you place them in the system what needs to be improved.

>you overcame the problem by copying files during postinstall. That is a bad
>hack for many reasons, the main one being that an update on kde packages
>would overwrite your files. Also, they would not be properly removed on
>uninstall, as dpkg database would not know about them.

I think that's because Mint is built for people who never bother to
open up the package manager and try to remove things like that. But i
think we need to do the things in a better way.
>You should take a look at the
>kubuntu-default-settings package to see how things should be done.

I agree, actually i could not find of a way to set the kdm and ksplash
theme. But i'm reading documentation, and i'll do the package again
using kubuntu-default-settings as base. I'll send updated packages
soon.

>Don't give up, you are doing a nice job, you just took a bad example to
>start with. Don't hesitate to ask any doubts, I'm also reachable as
>quidam in #trisquel at freenode (and jabberes.org).

Thank you for the support. I've been a big fan of trisquel and it
feels very good to be able to contribute. I'll definitely do my best.
:)

Regards.:)