[Trisquel-devel] Future Migration to Gnome 3?

Andrew Ter-Grigoryan roeplay at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 8 06:44:47 CEST 2011

Soon, Gnome 2 will cease to be supported and become obsolete, or at best
there will be a fork project with a fraction of the development
resources and funding. Also, Gnome Shell is apparently a highly
attractive and (once you get accustomed to it) intuitive interface, and
goes well with anything from a tablet to a traditional desktop PC. I
think that by the next Trisquel release we should switch over to Gnome
3. It could be tweaked to something in between the default interface and
the Windows-like one we have now, keeping the current icon set and
window theme, and putting the panel at the bottom and making it mostly
like the current one.

Also, as netbooks become much more powerful in the coming years,
Trisquel Mini should be phased out. We won't have to worry about
spreading ourselves too thin.

Thoughts?