[Trisquel-devel] Index Proposal deleted

Andrew Ter-Grigoryan roeplay at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 20 20:08:13 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:06 -0600, Andrew Ter-Grigoryan wrote:

> Because it's been decided by now that the index proposal will not be
> used as-is but instead parts of the Ubuntu beginners' documentation will
> be added to existing manuals as necessary, it has been deleted.
>
> Here is an archived version:
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BhgLGpebPkoJ:trisquel.info/en/wiki/index-proposal+http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/index-proposal&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=ubuntu
>
> Also, here are SirGrant's comments that didn't get retained:
>
>  Proposal Comments
> /* This section is for comments on the index proposal */
> Key Proposal items
> /* This section is for items that are either key documentation items or
> would be highly beneficial. Please sign when adding items to this
> section so we know who endorses each item*/
>
>       * Installation (whole section)
>               * //We already have the basics of this. This section while
>                 most users can figure it out is key for ANY manual. If a
>                 user can't install they won't use. ~ SirGrant
>       * Hardware (whole section)
>               * //Hardware support with free software can sometimes be
>                 iffy for some items like printers or wifi. Users will
>                 need a section explaining this and other things how
>                 binary blobs have an impact on hardware use. ~SirGrant
>       * Software management (whole section)
>               * //We can't assume all new users will be comfortable with
>                 using synaptic and the apt system. Some may come from
>                 being windows users or even other distros that don't use
>                 apt as a package manager. We at least need to explain
>                 how to use it. ~SirGrant
> Possible removal / postponement
> /* This section is for items that are either not necessary or could
> simply be added later due to manpower/time constraints. Please sign when
> adding items to this section so we know who endorses each item*/
>
>       * Prologue (whole section)
>               * // I think for now this section could be condensed into
>                 one section with a brief intro to free software but
>                 doesn't need to be split into 4 sections ~SirGrant
>       * Why Trisquel is safe
>               * // We can't say Trisquel is 100% safe. All software has
>                 bugs. This also sounds more like an opinion piece not a
>                 manual on how to use software/OS ~SirGrant
>       * Getting more help and Finding additional help and support and
>         Geing help (in the Trisquel desktop section)
>               * // Redundant sections. Would only need 1 of these.
>                 ~SirGrant
>       * Managing your computer and Managing windows
>               * // Again redundant sections. ~SirGrant

I have found out that page will be lost soon, so here is a copy of the
text:

Based on the Ubuntu's Manual "“Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04”

Prologue

      * Welcome
      * Trisquel philosophy
      * A brief history of Trisquel
      * Is Trisquel right for you?

Installation

      * Getting Trisquel
      * Minimum system requirements
      * Installing Trisquel

The Trisquel Desktop

      * Understanding the desktop
      * Managing windows
      * Switching between open windows
      * Using the Applications menu
      * Using the System menu
      * Browsing files on your computer
      * Nautilus file browser
      * Searching for files on your computer
      * Customizing your desktop
      * Accessibility
      * Managing your computer
      * Geing help

Working with Trisquel

      * Getting online
      * Browsing the web
      * Reading and composing email
      * Staying organized
      * Using instant messaging
      * Microblogging
      * Viewing and editing photos
      * Watching videos and movies
      * Listening to audio and music
      * Working with documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
      * Taking notes

Hardware

      * Using your devices
      * Hardware identification
      * Displays
      * Connecting and using your printer
      * Sound
      * Burning CDs and DVDs
      * Using a webcam
      * Scanning text and images
      * Other devices

Software Management

      * Software management in Trisquel
      * Using the Add-Remove Apps
      * Managing additional software
      * Synaptic Package Manager
      * Updates and Upgrades

The Command Line

      * Introduction to the terminal
      * Trisquel file system structure
      * Getting started with the command line
      * Introducing sudo
      * Managing software through the terminal

Security

      * Why Trisquel is safe
      * Basic Security concepts and procedures
      * System updates
      * Users and groups
      * Settng up a secure system

Troubleshooting