[Trisquel-devel] some little ideas for a video or presentation

Andrew Ter-Grigoryan roeplay at lavabit.com
Tue Jan 18 07:15:45 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 17:19 -0600, Jose Benito wrote:
> Main Idea:
>
> "What yo need to do? (or maybe what you need to do with an OS?)
>
> yo can...
>
> ..chat with your friends online
>
> ..play your music
>
> ..watch yor movies and videos favourites
>
> ..do your homework
>
> ..organize your pictures
>
> ..even watch the moon and the stars!
>
> You can do almost anything
>
> but do it with freedom
>
> do it with Trisquel GNU/Linux
>
> runs free!
>

> Every sentence is a scene that shows people enjoying the activity, or
> program's screenshots.
>
> Voice in off and text appearing and vanishing.
>
> I hope you like.

I hate to say it, but if somebody isn't already familiar with what free
software is, a video that says our operating system is more ethical and
good for their freedom will only make our ideas seem odd and contrived.
The thought of having to buy a new wireless card for your laptop for the
sake of "freedom" would seem like an absurdity to many. Even though I
knew what "open source" was for years (seemed like a nice idea to
benefit the development of software projects, especially the smaller
ones), I only had a vague notion of the importance of software that
respects your freedoms, regardless of the extent to which you wish to
exercise those freedoms. I continued to use MS Windows. The reason I
eventually tried Ubuntu had little to do with any notion of it being a
more ethical alternative and more to do with the thrill of discovery
that came with "trying Linux" (as I would have called it at the time).
It only became clear to me why free (as in freedom) software is
important after I chose to do some serious homework and later
contemplation on the issue. Then very suddenly I "got it", joined the
FSF, started using Trisquel, and have been fully-free ever since. I'm
sure it goes somewhat like that for most people in the free software
community.

Still, if a video advocates our distro, some people who see the video
are sure to follow the link to www.trisquel.info and perhaps learn
something about free software that way. If they have prior GNU/Linux
experience, maybe they'll even give it a download. So I say go for it,
Hound. ;)