[Trisquel-devel] Trisquel 4 preinstalled translations

Luis A. Guzmán García ark at switnet.org
Mon May 31 04:00:19 CEST 2010

> We should think about making some changes in our list of preinstalled
languages for this next release. The way the installer works -it is
translated to all languages, and if the system is connected to the
internet it will download any required translation during the install
process- brings us several possibilities:

> We can remove all the preinstalled languages and make room for more
applications or even advocacy works like audio, video and text files.
This is a great idea!
OTOH how heavy would the bandwidth use would be for the distro?,
downloading languages packages every time a Trisquel system is installed.

> We can also choose to keep those translations -for those users with no
internet connection-, and we can change the default selection if needed.

I think changing the default selection is needed since Ubuntu is adding
applications "OpenSource" using mono, and some other on "The Cloud".

> Another option is to create a DVD with all the translations installed.

This should be the better approach to the users with no internet access,
with advocacy info and set of applications.

> Ideas?
Above

Offtopic: Talking about advocacy
Is in the roadmap the inclusion of a modified version of
ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu) with a
trisquel based one?

Cheers!