[Trisquel-devel] WebM in Trisquel 4.0

Steven McDonald stevenmcdonald1989 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 09:28:13 CEST 2010

Hello,

I posted this a few days ago on the Trisquel Users forum, but thought it
might be better suited here. I wonder if it might be feasible to get
WebM support from the Firefox development branch into ABrowser? I'm
aware that it's fairly close to release, but Trisquel 4.0 will be a LTS
release and I think that being one of the first distros (perhaps the
first) with out-of-the-box support for YouTube that doesn't depend on
non-free software (e.g., Flash) would be a great thing to have on the
side of free software.

I tried to merge the patches listed at
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2010/05/20/building-firefox-with-webm-support.html
into the ABrowser sources, which resulted in compiler errors, a result I
had expected since I've never worked with patches before and I know that
patches on the development sources probably won't work in earlier
versions. I had to copy the content/media directory from mozilla-central
into ABrowser to even get the patches to apply successfully. I knew it
was likely to cause problems, but I wanted to try anyway.

I just thought I might suggest this issue to this mailing list, where
people are probably better aware of whether or not it can be done. If it
is feasible, I will be glad to help with whatever I can, although I am
still a relatively inexperienced coder.

More information about WebM: http://www.webmproject.org/about/faq/

Thanks for all the work on Trisquel, I'll be installing it as soon as I
buy a replacement wireless card.
Steven McDonald