[Trisquel-devel] Artistic License 1.0 and other licenses

David Zaragoza mclaud2000 at tutopia.com
Sun Feb 21 09:07:26 CET 2010

Hello

I was wondering: Do the Trisquel project considers the Artistic License
1.0  as a Free Software license?. It is considered as a FS license by
the OSI and Debian but not the FSF. Personally I prefer the Free
Software definition of the FSF, but I want to know the Trisquel
community opinion.

If the Artistic License 1.0 is not considered Free Software, I have to
check some games included in Trisquel Gamer to make sure they are
licensed under the AL 2.0. the same would be necessary for Trisquel in
general.

A related quetion: There are packages in Debian/Ubuntu/Trisquel with a
license with this clause:

Neither this software nor any of its individual components, in original
or modified versions, may be sold by itself.

This example was taken from the package teeworlds

Does that clause make the license non free?

I'm guessing yes, because as stated in
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html> : "you should be free to
redistribute copies, either with or without modifications, either gratis
or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere."

What's your opinion?

Regards
David Zaragoza