[Trisquel-devel] Would enabling bytecode interpreter in Freetype cause patents problems or break in some way Trisquel policies?

Flop Flop flop333 at yahoo.es
Mon Aug 2 02:52:42 CEST 2010

Thanks a lot for all your comments, Ruben and sorry for my delay in replying. As you point out, font rendering (perhaps I should better say "screen printing") is a matter of taste, and it is also true that Trisquel renders in a more "natural/real" way characters. However, in my case (and opinion), since I have to spend quite a lot of time reading text on screen -surely this is also your situation, anyway- the crisper on the screen the less wearysome to my eyes (you probably already know  this article http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html but I think I agree with MS philosophy as stated there). As I said, on higher resolution TFT screens -perhaps also screens with smaller pixels- this is not such a great problem, though any improvement in that sense would be welcome. Honestly, I have been unable to use gnu-linux for a long time mainly due to "on screen printing" -on lower resolution the "blurry" aspect was too weary for me, particularly on
 TFT's, not so much on CRT where, as you say, Trisquel might even render better- something which has already been solved since most of the time I use higher resolution screens nowadays. I also point out that there are quite a lot of discussions concerning font rendering on GNU-Linux, and probably providing an (easy) way to achieve a more "windowish" font rendering would mean an improvement for many of us. As for fiddling with the controls -I think I have tested all possible combinations-, I find that "light" contour is the best overall option (as I said "full" is perhaps better on web browser but not that much in OpenOffice, and "medium" seems to display exactly the same as "full") though in web browser black characters tend to display a bit "greyish" and gray characters tend to display in a lighter gray as they would do under Windows. In any case, I found some remarks concerning auto-hinting vs. bytecode interpreter in David turner's page
 (http://www.freetype.org/david/unix-font-rendering.html), where he says that for anti-aliased fonts auto-hinting might be a better option due to better rendering the grays implied in anti-aliasing (see on last section "