[Trisquel-devel] Documenting reasons for removal of packages

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Wed Apr 14 13:03:07 CEST 2010

Great! My specific question about MeshLab was answered. But I would
like to extend my question to the packages that are indeed available
in Ubuntu and were explicitely removed from Trisquel. How does the
user easily figure it out? How does the user get easy access to the
specific reasons for the removals?

Freedom is really important. But more than providing a free distro we
must try to provide opportunities for better understanding of the
freedom issues that guide the development of such distros. The users
must not only be able to simply use a free distro. The users better be
also well informed about the things that make non-free packages
unavailable on these distros. I know that there are some cases of
almost fully-free packages that have only tiny non-free issues, but
that are removed from fully free distros because of that. If the user
is capable of understanding it, then the user might even motivate
itself towards patching these packages to make them totally free and
acceptable in free distros. Or the user can be more strongly convinced
not to use that specific package.

Knowledge is power.
We must maximize the availability of information about freedom issues,
so that we can empower the users.

Felipe Sanches