[Trisquel-devel] GNUkCaH || gnuHaCk

william Herrera shawoho at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 08:54:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

Ricardo welcome back... I hope you've enjoined the journey.

Ricardo Mottola wrote:

>My intention is that by installing the basic gnustep applications and
then picking what >needed from GAP a user can tailor his environment for
his needs. This is what I want to >keep as much as possible in GAP: if
somebody wants X and not Y, he only gets X. Of >course, not to the limit
where making Kits or libraries is not really useful, but I want to
>avoid the "one big blob" concept that some projects have.

Your idea is great, I think GAP is solid gold for GNUstep users and developers since it provides a native repository for the platform, but this is also the main difference with the GNUkCaH || gnuHaCk project.
We DO want to deploy a "one single piece of software and concept". In order to avoid the "one big blob" issue, the desktop will be descentralized through modular mini/major components, instead of just picking up external apps whose authors keep different goals and features in mind, flooding the environment wiht non-used options in every release.
With mini-apps we'll reach high performace, elegance and simplicity accomplishing the desired task, like the "old school UNIX application style".
With major-apps we'll reflect the real computing through terminal/GUI/web/etc.. instances.
So with the embedded i-functionality, the applications will be natively developed and supported by the desktop, and the GAP collection (or other applications source) will let the user to add more "salsa" to the environmet if needed.

By the way, the "desktop" term is used (by me) to identify the environment concept, not to follow the GNOME or KDE path.

>For example, many things you describe here can be solved elegantly with Services.
>A quick example?
>In any application which allows text selection (and
is a GNUstep or Mac app) you can >select a text portion which can be an
URL. You go into the app menu and will see >services, if you have
installed Vespucci, our browser, you will see "open URL in >vespucci".
It will take the selection and open it.
>This is similar, but not the
same, as being able to treat everry URL as if it was a "file >type".
That is, clicking on an URL opens it in Vespucci very similarly as
double-clicking >on a PDF file in GWorkspace opens it in GSPdf (or the
xpdf wrapper). Similar, but not >the same.

>Then for the real
complex things there are Distributed Objects. Much before Java RMI or
>ORBIT there was DO. Quite simple to use too. It was in OpenStep also
the right method >to have inter-thread communication. Now apple
introduced other means, but it still of >course works.
>You can
interact to a daemon, but you can also interact between two GUI apps.
You can >Separate the Model from the controller up to the point where
they are on separate >machines.

Great, that's why I contacted Germán(and he contacted you), because you both are experts and for me GNUstep came in as an option after a research process. Learning it is the next.

>Do not let the current OpenStep look fool you. I use it and i like it
because I think it is >productive and professional, but the OpenStep
concept goes beyond the look. Don't >make the mistake of Icaza who
looked briefly at gnustep, did not understand it and went >over making
GNOME. We all know where it lead...

I completely understand what you mean, I thought the same when read the GNOME history, de Icaza missed the OpenStep power.

>well, maybe you end up with a different interface, but writing a blur
filter for an imaging >application or a rich text module for a word
processor will probably itnterest you. As is a >WebView to create a
browser or a PDF view for PDFs, independently if you want to take >our
browser or embed it in your "new emacs desktop".

I realize we can have an open channel, while GAP provides a code repo for us, GNUkCaH implements a desktop concept feeding back to GAP, this stream of bits will benefit everybody here.

>That is something very subjective. Both as far as the GUI paradigm
(menu style, resize >and buttons, etc) as well as if one prefers shiny
yummy icons or  something terse and >professional. The options are open.
Theming exists and is being improved. Many things >are already now
customizable (from Menu behaviour, decoration drawing, colors of
>various elements... all defaults that can be set). By writing code GUi
elements can be >changed (a full-blown theme). An application to create
theme, also by using images, and >changing properties like colors
easily, is being developed. So many options are open.

Great great great.... what can I say? Things are much much better than I thought... heh ;)

PS: Last days we talked about some graphical features in the list, it is in spanish so if you cannot understand it, I'll send you a resume in english.

Thanks,

William H.
GNU - Resistencia Digital