[Trisquel-devel] GNUkCaH || gnuHaCk

Aitor Ruano Miralles aitux.boot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 03:44:27 UTC 2009

El ds 08 de 08 de 2009 a les 14:48 -0700, en/na william Herrera va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I'll try to be as clear as possible ;) with this FaQ.
>
> Well in first place thanks to Aitor, Germán and Ricardo to take into
> account this project, Trisquel GNU/* is a vibrant multi-language free
> software community and hope it remains this way. Also it is a 100%
> free libre distro :) heh
>
> Dear hackers, certainly this is a set of growing ideas, so I'm still
> trying to order them. Initially when I commented the GNUkCaH ||
> gnuHaCk, named projects like GAP and Etoile cause I read about them,
> each one with different goals.
>
> Is this an official desktop for Trisquel?
> Not now, this is just an idea. Rubén said we have the distro support
> to experiment. So maybe when it is ready, might get an official state
> for Trisquel and GNU.
>
> Why this is neither GAP nor Etoile?
> I see GAP as project which is trying to develop as much applications
> as possible written in GNUstep platform in order to complete a
> “Desktop Environment” experience. Etoile is trying to “?” provide an
> user environment with project and document oriented in mind and more
> very nice concepts but with this “open-source (MIT/BSD licensed)” so
> obviously it out of focus.
>
> Why GNUstep?
> GNUstep is one of the good options talking about software development
> platforms with a great performance, OO, high engineering specification
> with a fast development and deployment time, also features a dynamic
> and simple Objective-C language, so after a long research process
> this(GS) is the best option.
>
> Are there clear objectives?
> Some are clearer than others, but sure there are. Let's name a few:
> * Low libs/apps dependency.- for ease of maintenance and distro
> packaging.
> * Completely FREE/libre GNU/fsf community project.- including
> copyrights, licenses,  documentation, standards, philosophy. I call it
> “GNUprestige” initiative.
> * Modern, functional and intelligent.- Emacs style showed to be
> intelligent, GNOME/KDE showed to be productive also GAP is trying to,
> Etoile is adding new concepts(modern).
> So? Well, I call it “Embedded I-Functionality” through emacs like*
> modes integrated natively; featuring a very good level of production
> experience through dedicated applications while it remains a modern
> environment.
>
> Is “Embedded I-Functionality” possible and how it would be?
> Yes, It's been possible before, but this time with a modern approach.
> It would be a single decentralized dynamic piece of software,
> executing what the user really really needs.
> * MINI-applications.- dedicated workers doing what they need to do and
> just that, targeted to their domains, no extra features. Example: A
> music reproducer only plays music, an image and document viewer only
> shows them, and so with groupware, etc...
>
> * MAJOR-applications.- bigger instances of user environment, I mean to
> [...]

You are welcom William :)

I think with this all the main ideas are very clear, great work
William :P

As you have said, maybe not everybody is get used to GNUstep, and we
need to do a little bit of research on it. For that I recommend this:
http://io.debian.net/~tar/gnustep/

It's an easy to use debian based live CD with the GNUstep framework
implemented on it, so you can try it without having to install anything
on your computer, it has by default all the GNustep stable (more or
less) applications, including WindowMaker of course, also the developers
ones, such as gorm, project manager, gWorkSpace, etc...
I haven't tried to install it permanently, but I supose it's possible,
so it's a nice platform to work on. The only problem I noticed is that
its kernel is a bit old, I don't remember the version at all but I think
it was 2.6.25, so there can be problems with hardware detection, in fact
I had :(
By the way, 100% free as in freedom :)

Now we have the ideas clear, we should start to write a list of tasks,
from more important to less and start hacking and documenting the
progressions. I have never developed a desktop environment so I have no
idea what we have to do first, I hope somebody knows :P

Thank you for understanding my horrible English! ;)

--
Aitor Ruano Miralles <aitux.boot en gmail.com>