[Trisquel-devel] [Fwd: Re: GNUstep + Trisquel]

Aitor Ruano Miralles aitux.boot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:14:19 UTC 2009

-------- Missatge reenviat --------
De: Aitor Ruano Miralles <aitux.boot en gmail.com>
Per a: Riccardo Mottola <multix en ngi.it>
Assumpte: Re: GNUstep + Trisquel
Data: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:11:51 +0200

El dv 07 de 08 de 2009 a les 23:12 +0200, en/na Riccardo Mottola va
escriure:
> Hi William, Aitor, German,
>
> I have read German's message on the mailing list. Since I am a GNUstep
> developer and GAP's vice-chief maintainer and am application-oriented, I
> read this message with interest. After all GNUstep / GAP always lack
> some public exposure and since our primary distribution is historically
> debian and there our packages suck quite a bit, fresh air is interesting.
>
> I went to the IRC channel of trisquel, most people speak spanish and the
> "gnustep" people were not around. I did not fully get your goals and I
> just understood that this "gnustep trisquel" is some sort of special
> version, not the official one.

>From now on we will use English in our mails, sorry for that.

I'm not the main coordinator of the project, but I can tell you that the
idea is to develop a new complete and functional desktop environment
(such as KDE or GNOME) based on GNUStep and built more intelligently,
that means we want to develop a clean desktop, not like GNOME that is
full of libraries and silly dependencies. To make that, my dear William
proposed a kind of "modulable desktop", let me explain this (William if
it's wrong correct me please), the desktop won't be a desktop at all, at
the same time it can be a multimedia player, a file manager, a word
processor, etc... To do that, we want to develop or copy from other
sources modules that we will embed on the desktop, so when we open
a .ogg file, the desktop (like in emacs) will use the necessary modules
to play that file but is the desktop itself who is playing the song, not
another external application.

Certainly, I have no very good idea of what William is trying to explain
us, maybe it will be necessary to have a kind of outline of the
William's desktop design ;)

> What applications are you  interested in? Perhaps the whole of stuff of
> GNUstep usr+dev and GAP?

Applications or modules? William will say it.
> What goals do you have?

Explained above
> Are there any particular problems with the current stuff?
>
> Do you think you can attract developers or become active yourself? In
> GAP there is quite some unreleased stuff which is incomplete or buggy
> but could prove interesting in the vision of a more complete desktop
> environment (to use that term).
> I have shortly updated and redone the GAP website (gap.nongnu.org) to
> also include information about unreleased apps which have currently some
> compilable and testable source in repository.

I think we are only going to take some modules, so it's not a problem if
the programs are buggy, after all I think we are going to make them from
scratch.

> Resources currently are at an ever low. In terms of developers, graphic
> artists, testers, bug fixers, webmasters... thus efforts should be
> bundled and not spread.

I expect this project will join more people

> Let me know
>
> Riccardo
>
> PS: I'll be on holiday for one week, I do not know if I will have
> internet access from the hotel.

Do not worry, I will be in Egipt for a week too. :)