[Freedom-misc] have you modified the ethernet mac address in a libreboot rom?

kwojtus at protonmail.com kwojtus at protonmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:55:05 CEST 2020

 >Run ./ich9gen --macaddress XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX entering the actual ethernet
mac address. Should it be sudo ./ich9gen?

No. In the libreboot guide You linked, the command is given as:
$ ./ich9gen --macaddress XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

There's a convention - when there's '$' before the command, it is to be run
as normal user (without sudo). If there's '#' instead of '$', it is to be run
as root (with sudo).

 > returns Chip content is identical to the requested image.

Maybe You ran it more than once and all subsequent runs return this? Sorry if
it looks like I'm not treating You seriously, just can't think of another
simple explanation :)

 > On the libreboot computer I edited computer -> etc -> default -> grub to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="iomem=relaxed quiet"

Well, Idk what iomem does, but changing grub configuration in filesystem
might be a mistake, since on libreboot/coreboot grub (and other payloads) run
from rom...

 > And the ethernet mac address has not changed.

How do You check this? Using ifconfig? You might need to reload some module
or even reboot for MAC change to take effect :)

 > How do I know if the t400_8mb_usqwerty_vesafb.rom's ethernet mac address
got changed?

Maybe try searching for the bytes of desired mac address inside the rom
(You'll surely find a way to do that in the net)... Also, well, You *could*
check if the data file from ich9gen got properly placed in rom with sth like:
$ dd if=t400_8mb_usqwerty_vesafb.rom of=data_from_rom.bin bs=1 count=12k
$ diff data_from_rom.bin ich9fdgbe_8m.bin
I wrote this off the head, might have made a mistake.
Having said this, I don't see much point in checking if dd worked properly
(I'd assume it did...)