[Freedom-misc] Skylake integrated graphics' DP output

xliang9550 at live.cn xliang9550 at live.cn
Tue Mar 24 10:17:25 CET 2020

I connected an external LCD via DP to my portable workstation. When under
hybrid graphics (Optimus) mode, the external display was not recognized under
Trisquel or Debian. However, it was recognized under Ubuntu or Mint (for
testing purposes only), though I had to go to Control Center -> Displays and
then manually "turn on" the display. Once turned on, the display worked
properly. Does this mean that certain (non-free) firmware is required to
support dual display on Skylake integrated graphics?

My workaround is to switch to discrete graphics mode (to disable the
integrated graphics when I need to use external displays). The discrete
graphics card (Nvidia Quadro M2000M, GM107GL-M) seems to work correctly
without non-free firmware.