[Freedom-misc] video chat software

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Sat Mar 21 19:17:54 CET 2020

In the past I have not had a need for video chat software like Skype or Zoom,
so I have not put time into exploring free replacements.  Now that I am no
longer able to socialize with people in-person due to COVID-19, am interested
in looking for a good free software option for video chat.  Normally I would
compare free software programs by just testing them myself, but in order to
test communication software I would need someone else to test it with me, and
I don't want to waste anyone else's time installing and trying out several
programs, so I thought I would see if anyone here has already tried some
different options out there has a preference.

I am looking for something which should be

* free software
* available for (GNU/Linux, Windows, and macOS) and/or for (GNU/Linux,
Android, and iOS) and/or (GNU/Linux and web browser)

and as much as possible also be

* easy for a non-hacker to install and use
* reliable and of decent quality

and ideally also be

* encrypted
* federated

but in these circumstances I am more willing to compromise on encryption and
federation in favor of quality and usability than I normally would be.

The options I am aware of are

* Tox
* Jami
* Jitsi
* Riot.im

Does any one have experience with any of these, or other suggestions worth
looking into?