[Freedom-misc] Openpilot

behmen at protonmail.com behmen at protonmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:40:37 CET 2020

 >Notice that I do not see any good reason to doubt that openpilot is free
software. It does not hurt to investigate anyway.

Exactly what I was thinking. When I saw that a company was making an
"open-source" ai I thought that it was too good to be true, that is why I was
trying to see whether it is free or not.

 > When it comes to detecting binary disguised as source code, the Linux-libre
project executes
https://www.linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/LATEST-5.N/deblob-check
(but it is kind of specifically tailored to discovering blobs in Linux's
source code).

I had seen a post on these forums where jxself was talking about deblobbing
the linux kernel himself, which led me to ask whether deblobbing could be
done on this program. Of course it might not be necessary.

 >The new critical code looks concentrated in the "selfdrive" directory, which
contains fewer than 55k lines of code. It is certainly possible to audit that
code for safety and security (I believe it is what you mean by auditing).

When you have software take control of a car, not only does the code have to
be working flawlessly, but yes I did mean an audit from someone independent
from the company creating it. So that anything that might record data
(cameras,gps,any sensor) could not theoretically 'phone home' to the company.

Thanks for the answers!