[Freedom-misc] Investing with Free Software

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Fri Jun 12 21:20:39 CEST 2020

 > Saving money is to contribute to the betterment of your own wellbeing.

This seems off topic too.  No one has mentioned saving money.

 > Giving, investing and charity, contribute to the betterment of society.

No one here has questioned whether giving and charity contribute to the
betterment of society.

This thread is about investing, specifically to "buy/sell stocks, or invest
in Bitcoin, or do Forex Trading".  These are ways to leverage the power of
one's existing wealth in order to enrich oneself further without having to
work.  Forex trading does not better society.  Investing in Bitcoin does not
either, and Bitcoin is bad for the environment.  It *might* be possible to
buy/sell stocks in a way that avoids funding activities that harm society,
but people who invest with the goal of maximizing gains will not invest in
such a way.

"Charity" and "giving" are words with generally positive connotations, for
reasons that don't apply to the types of "investment" we are discussing.  As
boba points out, there is another sense of the word "invest" in which the
return that the investor expects is not wealth, but something like "local
community building".  This is more similar to charity, but it is explicitly
not what GNUser asked about or what nadebula.1984 was responding to.