[Freedom-misc] Investing with Free Software

bobandrew at planetmail.net bobandrew at planetmail.net
Wed Jun 10 03:50:33 CEST 2020

I am not sure whether you will consider this to be relevant to your topic,
but I have been investing in libre software for some time. This is a
collective investment with a high ROI, given both the freedom it gives us
back and the amount of licence fees we are sparing. Not all contribution
channels are completely libre though, so one might be careful in the one they
choose. Liberapay comes to mind but it is hosted on AWS and this happened:

https://medium.com/liberapay-blog/liberapay-is-in-trouble-b58b40714d82

It is also possible to invest in local community building and timebanks
through CommunityForge. It is based on Drupal, which is GPLed, and they offer
hosting services using their Drupal infrastructure. Their own effort is
supported by donations transiting the banking system, though.

If you are more strictly referring to putting money in a box and getting some
extra bucks back, the only option I see would be to get enough cash (though,
as mentioned above, the banking system as a whole arguably relies of
proprietary software), buy buildings or any kind of real estate in cash and
sell it in cash when time comes. All that cash already sounds like some money
laundering scheme, so maybe only gangsters can actually affort to invest such
large amounts using free software only.

I guess the reason why you are not getting more useful answers is that there
is none. The traditional, centralized banking and financial system is simply
not interested in respecting your freedom.