[Freedom-misc] youtube-dl through tor?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Tue Jun 9 07:24:46 CEST 2020

 > So which is the better way?

There are two questions: (1) what should happen when the user attempts to
download from an onion domain without Tor, and (2) when downloading a video
through Invidious (whether via Tor or not) should Invidious proxy the video
or provide a googlevideo.com URL for yt-dl to access (via Tor if
appropriate)?

In the case of (1) I prefer avideo's behavior.  I consider yt-dl's behavior
dangerous.  If a user is bothering to use an Invidious onion instance, they
likely want to download the video anonymously.  If they accidentally forget
to use the "--proxy" option with yt-dl then Google will receive their IP
address along with the ID of the video they are downloading.  It's safer for
the program to fail like avideo does, and force the user to either specify
"--proxy" if they want to be anonymous or specify a non-onion URL if they
don't.

In the case of (2) I can see a case for either behavior.  Proxying puts a
large load on the Invidious server, so if possible the ideal behavior would
probably be to respect the default set by the instance admin unless overriden
with "local=true" or "local=false" in the URL as per
https://github.com/omarroth/invidious/wiki/List-of-URL-parameters