[Freedom-misc] youtube-dl through tor?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Mon Jun 8 22:01:27 CEST 2020

I finally got around to installing avideo and testing some things.

First, I used avideo to attempt to download a music video in three different
ways: via youtube.com, via an Invidious clearnet instance, and via an
Invidious onion instance.  avideo failed to download from youtube.com
directly, but was able to download from both Invidious instances.  This was
what I anticipated.  However, I then compared avideo's handling of the
Invidious onion instance to that of youtube-dl, and the results were not what
I expected.

As zigote descibed, without "--proxy socks5://127.0.0.1:9050/", avideo does
not download the video, and with "--proxy" it downloads the video from the
Invidious onion domain.  youtube-dl on the other hand, with or without
"--proxy", downloads the video from a "googlevideo.com" domain.  Without
"--proxy", the IP address contained in the googlevideo.com URL is that of my
VPN.  With "--proxy", the IP address is an unfamiliar one, presumably a Tor
exit node.  So youtube-dl does appear to go through Tor when told to, but
whereas avideo only connects to the onion domain, youtube-dl downloads the
video from a clearnet domain.