[Freedom-misc] youtube-dl through tor?

zigote at riseup.net zigote at riseup.net
Mon Jun 1 22:21:12 CEST 2020

 > Only up-to-date versions of youtube-dl work reliably, so avideo is not
better for these use cases.

Actually I have used avideo with various other sites and those that are not
supported are very very few (less than 10%). I don't know if youtube-dl
supports those same sites which don't work with avideo.

 > I mean downloading YouTube videos from a specific site (an Invidious onion
instance)

Yes, I replied in that context because that is what the OP asked for. But it
is nice that you provided extra info.

 > My goal is a more free and just society.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen only through the software we (do
not) use. But that is a different discussion.

 > You can check the last several years of youtube-dl's commit history to see
what has changed.

As soon as I finish the 324059812059 other things I am working on :))

 > I otherwise don't see a need to continue this discussion

Yep. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.