[Freedom-misc] youtube-dl through tor?

zigote at riseup.net zigote at riseup.net
Mon Jun 1 11:19:56 CEST 2020

I have never had an issue with Invidious instances (except rare glitches of
the site for a short time, e.g. channels not working or sth similar).

To my mind running an invidious instance would make sense if the instance
serves many people. A single person running a single instance for the same
single client is simply creating bloat on one's own machine (and still being
connected to Google). If your goal is to simply avoid Youtube's JS perhaps
you could rather use https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer as a client.

 > It sounds like avideo is better for your use case.

What do you mean "my" use case? youtube-dl, avideo, hypervideo all do the
same: download videos. What other use cases are there?

 > producing an up-to-date version of avideo

Considering it works flawlessly I don't know why it may need an update. Is it
missing any features? Does it have any bugs which are fixed upstream? IOW:
let's first evaluate the needs and the purpose before estimating potential
effort.