[Freedom-misc] youtube-dl through tor?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Mon Jun 1 02:25:57 CEST 2020

 > As for your usage of your own invidious instance - I don't know why you
needs this.

High-traffic instances get blocked by Google and need humans to complete
CAPTCHAs in order for them to remain functional.  The main Invidious
instances have dealt with this by using virtual sweatshop labor to solve the
CAPTCHAs.  I am concerned about privacy, but I am also concerned about
globalization and economic exploitation, so I prefer to avoid this dilemma by
running my own, low-traffic instance that does not run into these CAPTCHAs.

 > OK, so I tried hypervideo.
 > Results (compared to avideo):

It sounds like avideo is better for your use case.  I wonder how much work
would be involved in producing an up-to-date version of avideo.  The commits
involved in merging new upstream versions are pretty small, but rather
opaque, so it would be a matter of learning to understand the build system,
which seems a little convoluted:
https://notabug.org/GPast/avideo/wiki/Developer+Documentation#avideo-patching-system