[Freedom-misc] Free Spotify replacement

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Tue Jan 15 05:15:34 CET 2019

 > What about the JavaScript?

Dev seems steadfast against proprietary JS.

https://github.com/nukeop/nuclear/issues/11#issuecomment-282482096
https://github.com/nukeop/nuclear/issues/48#issuecomment-332641393
https://github.com/nukeop/nuclear/issues/48#issuecomment-332661775

 > Does it use Electron?

Hm. Looks like it does. Are you of the opinion that Electron is non-free? I
have tried to understand that issue and found various threads about it, but
none that end in consensus, so I'm unclear on whether Electron (a) is free,
(b) has non-fatal freedom issues, or (c) has fatal freedom issues. Hopefully
it's (a) or (b). I've seen a lot of promising projects lately that use
Electron, so I hope that at the very least a freed version can be developed
and used as a drop-in replacement.