[Freedom-misc] Free software powered search engines?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Sun Jan 6 03:01:19 CET 2019

Although in order to access all of DuckDuckGo's features (image/video/news
searches, filtering) you must run proprietary JavaScript, there is a stripped
down HTML-only version[1] that allows simple searches. However, I generally
don't recommend it to people because they might use the JS version
accidentally or be tempted to use it in order to access its features.

Startpage's JavaScript is also proprietary, but all features seem to work
with JavaScript disabled, so I recommend this over DuckDuckGo, with the
caveat that one should block scripts on this site by disabling JavaScript or
using an addon like LibreJS, NoScript, or YesScript.

Searx uses only free JavaScript, and I hope to eventually recommend this to
all users with a clear conscience. However, in its current state it is very
buggy, and I worry that users will get frustrated, switch to a nonfree search
engine, and not know to block that search engine's JavaScript.

I would be glad to know of a fully free, feature-complete search engine that
is stable enough to recommend.

[1] https://duckduckgo.com/html