[Freedom-misc] Government malware (e.g. FinFisher) - what's the situation in various countries?

figosdev at users.sourceforge.net figosdev at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 30 19:27:33 CEST 2018

apart from things like intel me, which certainly dont make non-free os more
reasonable (or, if it doesnt matter: then if youre handcuffed, you might as
well have leg irons too?) china also makes a ridiculously large percentage of
our hardware.

as it becomes cheaper and even trivial to implement malicious firmware and
hardware (and microcode) china (and not only china) will be able to do
terrible things with regards to computing. of course if they go to far, it
will start a war. but short of that, lenovo has already implemented malicious
firmware that only targets windows (but doesnt have to stop there.)

imo one of two things is strictly inevitable: free (faif) hardware, or losing
control of our computing to malicious chip manufacturers, including chinese
ones. dont let the obvious (relevant) example of china make you think im
picking on anybody. any virtual monopoly in this regard is dangerous, china
is just a particularly bad one. free hardware will be a necessity (sooner or
later) for computing to remain free. im glad people are already working on
it, however modest (and financially costly) the efforts-- of course, that
will continue until we get there. but i dont think the present monopolies
will ever behave significantly better.