[Freedom-misc] FSF-endorsed social networks? Discourse, Disroot, GNUsocial, LibrePlanet, Mastodon ... else?

mcz at ruggedinbox.com mcz at ruggedinbox.com
Sun Sep 30 14:33:57 CEST 2018

A Debian bin? I only see this method from their website:

You mean this? (requires JS)
https://beta.flathub.org/apps/details/org.signal.Signal
Basically:
https://beta.flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.signal.Signal.flatpakref (to get
the link, although no gpg or md or sha checking)
flatpak install flathub org.signal.Signal
flatpak run org.signal.Signal

-

Btw, I stumbled upon a way to log in without giving your real phone number.
Can't find the URL that explains it just yet though.

-

Overall, the need of google push (although I think they're attempting to get
rid of that) and no 32 bit client (thanks ivanruvalcaba) are the only
downsides left.
Still, I don't really understand why such a famous program isn't in one of
the most important free-software repository.

Either way, added to Xprivacylua (although not needed for Signal really), and
Replicant/LineageOS (and an optional faraday pouch), it's most likely the
simplest, safest/most privacy friendly communication software on mobile and
desktop.
The weakest link will still be the other persons we communicate with:
Non-free OS.
But that's unavoidable for now. Also the apps on google play and the appstore
are signed by the main dev actually.

Also, despite all this, I'd personally avoid long personal conversations on
the phone/desktop app as a general rule, and use it more as a meetup tool for
such cases.