[Freedom-misc] Mobile Devices Respecting Software Freedom (follow-up)

mcz at ruggedinbox.com mcz at ruggedinbox.com
Thu Sep 20 18:37:48 CEST 2018

However, I now realize using the net on a mobile device over WiFi creates
exactly the same risks as using it over the cell modem, and this will be the
case until there are mobile devices on the market that have WiFi that works
without non-free firmware. For now, nothing is gained by having a separate
device, unless I use Replicant and a WiFi dongle, which is impractical and
defeats the purpose of having a small, easily portable device.
What about an always offline Replicant phone/tablet with zero connection, but
with apk downloaded from F-droid?

A cheap dumbphone would be perfect if emails (work mailbox) is possible. And
and integrated cam (same thing, for work).
And Whatsapp (for live video stream, again for work).
So that's more like a cheap smartphone, which makes a dumbphone useless,
right ?

The faraday pouch doesn't help, because you can't be sure that the cell modem
and/or WiFi firmware are not able to store records of what you've done while
the device is in the pouch, and wait until it isn't in the pouch to phone
home and send those records. Unless we have some way to know exactly what the
non-free fireware in a mobile device does and doesn't do, it's very hard to
come up with a practical work-around that doesn't devolve into generalized
paranoia :(
Well, anything recorded by the phone would be at point A and point B, nothing
in between though.
Its only use is the ability to disappear from the radar if ever needed.
Which in itself is mostly pointless, as there are other ways to be tracked
(although not by the same companies), unless you
walk/skate/roller/bike/moonwalk .

Still, it's nice as a possibility. It's nice to mess with trackers, even if
the aggregated data says a lot, even with gap from point A to point B.

That's stuff straight out of classic science-fiction flicks.
Well, bar the "fiction" part. I think it's fun.