[Freedom-misc] Mobile Devices Respecting Software Freedom (follow-up)

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Thu Sep 20 08:55:12 CEST 2018

 > What do you think?

I think we all agree that the long-term goal is a touchscreen device with a
100% free code mobile OS (alway-on, with all day battery life), using
hardware that can be used to its full capacity with no non-free software of
any kind. Ideally based on free hardware designs.

Despite the criticisms folks here make of Purism, I think their Librem 5 will
be the closest we've got to this so far. Hopefully progress will continue.

In the meantime, push-button "feature phones" are super cheap. While I was in
the UK I got one for 5 pounds (about US$6.50) just to use there. It's totally
affordable to own one of these for texts (SMS) and voice calls over the cell
network, and have a separate mobile device with no cell modem (a small
tablet), or with the cell modem air-gapped or disabled.

However, I now realize using the net on a mobile device over WiFi creates
exactly the same risks as using it over the cell modem, and this will be the
case until there are mobile devices on the market that have WiFi that works
without non-free firmware. For now, nothing is gained by having a separate
device, unless I use Replicant and a WiFi dongle, which is impractical and
defeats the purpose of having a small, easily portable device.

The faraday pouch doesn't help, because you can't be sure that the cell modem
and/or WiFi firmware are not able to store records of what you've done while
the device is in the pouch, and wait until it isn't in the pouch to phone
home and send those records. Unless we have some way to know exactly what the
non-free fireware in a mobile device does and doesn't do, it's very hard to
come up with a practical work-around that doesn't devolve into generalized
paranoia :(