[Freedom-misc] Testing voice calling apps on Trisquel

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Mon Sep 17 11:33:54 CEST 2018

hack and hack:
 > "Ah, so Ring isn't solid enough yet?"

It's usable, but as I said, I wouldn't suggest trying to get newbies to use
it yet. That said, I haven't tried it on any other platform yet.

 > "Is it easy to setup for someone with very little coputing skills ?"

Depends. For Windows, MacOS, and iOS you just download and run the installer:
https://ring.cx/download

For Android you can install from Play store or F-Droid. Simple enough.

For GNU/Linux there are installation instructions for Ubuntu 16.04/ 18.04,
Debian 9, or Fedora 27/28. All of them involve running terminal commands to
add repos. I installed on Trisquel 7 using the 16.04 instructions, but I had
to skip one of the steps that isn't required for Trisquel (the one to add
'universe', which Trisquel repos doesn't have).

 > "The experience goes from perfect to unuseable, even with the same
devices."

Funny, there was a guy on the fediverse dismissing Telegram, Signal, and Wire
for being non-federated, and asking why everyone doesn't use XMPP. The client
the recommended was Jitsi. Your experience is the answer to his question. For
everything other than non-secure text chat, XMPP clients are notoriously
unreliable.