[Freedom-misc] connect the web forum for this list to libreplanet instead?

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Mon Sep 17 10:28:22 CEST 2018

bill-auger:
 > why did a new mailing list need to be created for this topic? <

The list was created because this is standard practice when a new board is
created on the Trisquel forums. The "general free software talk" board was
created because there was a need to allow the Trisquel-users forum to be
focused on answering questions from Trisquels users (especially newbies) and
helping us solve problems we encounter using the distro. But also a desire
not to suppress the wider discussion of what free code software, free network
services etc to use with Trisquel, that had been somewhat overwhelming
Trisquel-users, and interfering with that helpdesk function.

 > "i suspect that most people posting to this list are not using email but
the web interface"

This certainly describes my use pattern.

 > "[associated this forum with the LibrePlanet list] could bridge the users
of those two disperate venues rather than splintering, and would probably be
minimal inconvenience to users"

Sounds fine to me. So long as membership of the LibrePlanet list doesn't
require a paid membership to the FSF, as freemedia suggests it might. One of
the goals of the Trisquel community is to be an accessible portal for users
who are new to the software freedom movement. Even though I'm sure we'd all
encourage anyone to become a financial members of the FSF, making this
payment a condition of entry would harm our ability to server as an easily
accessible portal.