[Freedom-misc] Don't Kill Our Community

mcz at ruggedinbox.com mcz at ruggedinbox.com
Thu Sep 13 22:27:19 CEST 2018

I've seen it manifested here on the forums. One example is when threads like
"OMG Trisquel is so ooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllldddddddddd" start.
Going from that blog post it would translate into: "Trisquel is obviously
crap, it should have the latest versions of everything that I care about,
otherwise it's ancient and outdated crap. You lazy fuck you didn't upgrade
your software yet? I need them updated now. What? Thank you for taking the
time you spend on Trisquel? I'd never do that. Why should I? WORK YOU FUCKERS
MOVE YOUR ASSES UPDATE IT NOW! Serious people use it, reply fast or I'll
leave and go somewhere else." That's a perfect example of the "passive
consumerism" being talked about but it's not the only example.
I'm guilty of complaining about Trisquel 7 (although I shared whatever I
could find going wrong and tried to fix it).

I think most of it came from the expectations I had.
I assumed it just works. Yet my very first attempts had the menu bar broken,
if I recall properly.
Abrowser being way too out of date at one occasion was a big problem too.
Considering this, my biggest assumption was that I could confidently suggest
its use to other people.

Also, I was discovering GNU/Linux, and was trying a lot of things. Having (a
bit) outdated software complicated things a bit, but still was a good
learning experience.

 From this, I suppose the best would be to focus on solid basics (as it is
done currently).
Anything outdated could be solved by learning how to compile, or use well
known PPA.

Which makes me think I very well might use Trisquel again on my main PC.
A bit more work, but not that much really.
I might even confidently suggest it to others.

Anyway, thank you all for your hard work.

Giving back with cash is something I'm thinking of. I heard of liberapay
recently on this forum.
But there are so many projects...
I'm thinking of listing all the projects I care for the most, allocate like
1$ per month and see if the total is affordable.