[Freedom-misc] scuttlebot.io / scuttlebutt.nz

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Wed Sep 12 12:07:09 CEST 2018

amuza
 > "I like researching Free Software communications apps that are
decentralized ..."

You might be interested in the DWeb series of blog posts on this topic. Here
is the piece published there on Scuttlebutt:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/08/dweb-social-feeds-with-secure-scuttlebutt/

 > "I have played the most with Bitmessage, Retroshare and ZeroNet"

I'd love to learn more about your experiences with these apps. Have you
written them up somewhere, eg on a blog or on these forums? If not, that
would be really helpful.

 > "I am hearing about this scuttlebutt.nz/scuttlebot.io which I have not
tested yet"

I can't comment on the intricacies of the licensing, security etc (I know
when I'm not qualified to commment), but I will say that I know the man who
created the original Scuttlebutt, who I met through a local MakerSpace, and I
know of a number of the other core contributors through their involvement in
projects related to Enspiral and Loomio. So I can confirm that this tech was
not created by some shady group of spooks of crackers, but a group of people
who share our concerns about software freedom and privacy. If there are any
freedom or security issues with any Scuttlebutt / SSB implementation, I'm
confident it would be worth bringing them up with the devs, and that they
would be taken seriously and addressed ASAP.