[Freedom-misc] What are your thoughts about Fairphone 2?

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Wed Sep 12 09:47:27 CEST 2018

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back to this thread. I'm very hopeful
about one day being able to use a mobile device without any non-free software
or built-in tracking thanks to projects like Replicant and Puri.sm, and
without depending on the corporate cell network, thanks to projects like JPM
/ WOM / Sensorica. I find it exciting that in both cases, there are people
taking the risk of running commercial businesses to provide these products/
services. In future, I'd like to see similar businesses run as worker-owned
or user-owner cooperatives.

Meta-discussion: It took us a few rounds but in the end we seem to have found
consensus :) I think this thread is a wonderful example of an online exchange
where people disagree productively about passionately-held views, and
patiently explain their points, until mutual understanding is achieved.
Taking part in threads like this gives me hope for the net, and the future in
general :)