[Freedom-misc] Interesting new online password vault - Bitwarden. All components GPL or AGPL

andyprough at gmail.com andyprough at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:26:03 CEST 2018

I'm not a big fan of KeePass, although many of you probably are, and I can
understand why you would be. It simply hasn't been the best fit for my needs.

That said, I've been looking for an online password vault as an alternative
to KeePass. One that respects my privacy and only uses free software.
Bitwarden seems to fit all the requirements I had. 100% free software
licensing, and all passwords are encrypted on my device prior to hitting
their servers, so they have no access to my unencrypted passwords.
https://bitwarden.com/

Everything is available on github, and you can download and run your own
instance if you prefer to do that. https://github.com/bitwarden

They've got GNU/Linux apps and browser extensions to do all the work. It's a
very interesting project.

The one thing that gives me pause is that they are using the Microsoft Azure
cloud to host their services. However, Microsoft will not get access to any
data about me, and the alternatives are probably to use the Amazon or Google
clouds to host it, which have their own issues.

I'd be interested in any thoughts by anyone, especially on the Azure
cloud-hosting issue.