[Freedom-misc] Request regarding Tardsplaya (Watch Twitch streams via external media player)

jason at bluehome.net jason at bluehome.net
Mon Sep 3 16:44:50 CEST 2018

"Its not proprietary. He just forgot to give it a license such as GPL."

This is a contradiction.

Not giving a license doesn't mean they have opted out of copyright. Thanks to
things like the Berne Convention copyright is automatically applied whether
someone wants it or not. And it defaults to "All Rights Reserved", also
whether someone wants it or not. The only way out of that to explicitly take
action that changes this.

Short of taking that explicit action then default copyright applies. And, a
program under default copyright isn't free software because it lacks
important things like being able to change and share it.

What do we call a program where the four freedoms from described in
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html are missing or incomplete?
Non-free software. Proprietary software.

If those words are too harsh you can make up your own. Perhaps "source
available software", since we can see the source even though we're not
legally permitted to change it. In any event one term that shouldn't be used
to describe it is as "free software."