[Freedom-misc] Local Organization's Database Project

hartkemd at posteo.net hartkemd at posteo.net
Sat Sep 1 07:44:11 CEST 2018

I just started volunteering with a local organization that works with the
homeless. They were looking for someone to help with creating a database for
holding their clients' exit survey results.

Initially, the project was going to be done with Microsoft Access. I lightly
suggested LibreOffice, but they said they preferred Access in this case. I
didn't want to argue since I'm just starting there. There may be more room
for free software in the future if I stay with them.

I created the structure for the database and started making a form that would
be used by other volunteers to enter data.
While creating the form for data entry, we ran into some problems.

I started thinking about alternate solutions involving something like PHP &
MySQL, but I don't have very much programming experience, and I'm not sure
how long they want to wait for my solution, or if they would be able to
provision a server or whatever to host the web application.

They are now thinking of using Google Forms. I played around with it some and
it might work for them, however it's not free software. In addition, Google
does not respect freedom/privacy.

Are these my only options, or are there others I am missing?